30 July 2011

Back 3

 A few of us went up to Helen and road the back three gap, Hog pen, Jacks, and Unicoi. We pulled out of Helen and decided to do a lap around Lake Unicoi, just to add some miles and get a good warm up. Very nice warm up, completely shaded and a couple of steep hills. Too bad hog pen didn't have the cover that the lake had. We then crossed the river, took a right on Russel scenic hwy. and let the pain begin. Like always starting out on a tough climb I feel strong and ready for the challenge, and then, like always I wonder "WHAT WAS I THINKING". All and all, I did well going up. My slowest speed was 5.5 mph. I past the first overlook on the right, and there were two guys taking a break. They yelled some words of encouragement, and I remember thinking, oh I want to pull over and rest. But if that overlook was not there I would not have given it any thought.  So I suffered on. When John, BK, and me reached the top heaven was waiting in the form of Ethan's truck, and Julie driving with cold drinks. It was awesome to have sag. 
BK's bike and mine

John and me didn't want to wait for the other guys, so we took off. BK stayed to hang out. Fun, fast decent off of hog pen, 53 mph for me. John said "no way". He and I worked good to get to Jacks gap, and we ate a snack once we got there. Stairing at the Brasstown entrance we decided to go for it.
half a mile up I couldn't take it any more and turned back, Superman kept   
going. It took John around thirty minutes to reach the top and back down. By this time the group caught back up, BK then went up. Two out of twelve, not good odds. We all left as a group for Helen, but first Unicoi gap. This will make you feel strong. Unicoi has a steady grade but not steep. John and I motored up about 15 mph. Once we started back down to Helen the weather turned bad. Wet roads are not fun when coming off a mountain. It was dry down by the Chattahoochee and I opened a gap on John, First across the line(Helen city limits). I may have been the only one racing, oh well! 
 Good day for the training, but bad day cause it hurts. If someone says they were fine after this ride I would have to call "bu*#sh@#t". I must be sick but I can't wait for the next round of suffering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment