29 September 2012

12 hours of Dauset and stuff


 Casey, Thomas, Gavin, and I went to Amerson water works park today and completed "O" coarse #1 (beginner coarse) set up by Andi Berger. She has set up four total. Each getting more difficult. They are designed to be navigated without a compass, so as to teach the kids to use land features instead. 



We did well, and had fun, and had a little detour at the river. Thomas, and Casey wanted to try coarse #2, but Gavin was having none of that...err and I was tired of caring him around like a "sack of taters". So we had a picnic and played on the playground. 



 If the kids want, we might try a real orienteering meet this winter. Andi is hosting one in November at FDR state park. This would be a good one, but that's Pinhoti 100 weekend. 


 Oh ya, 12 hours or Dauset. You get out of a race what you put into it. Meaning, not much training, not much racing. I only completed 6 laps. My hands, neck, and back were killing me. Every lap got more painful, so it was pointless to me to press on. I remember thinking "I might need to write my name at work on Monday". Then I could hear Dave of Gone Riding on the P.A. "spaghetti is ready" that's all it took. I was done. Five Dauset races, and the first time eating the spaghetti. Mmm! It was a good time anyway, Hanging out in OMBA town. Well, training starts Sunday for next year....Later

2 comments:

  1. Lots of o-meets left in the year in the Atlanta area. I will go with you and the kids if we can grab some babacoa after.

    ReplyDelete