01 January 2012

To shave or not to shave?

 Its time to get serious. The new season is just ahead. For me this will be my first full season of road racing. It is very different from mountain bike racing. For one, I probably won't have my kids with me, (although we are still going to race MTB, if they want to). For two, I hear people are not as friendly as they are at mountain bike races. But I will have my team to hang with. Douloscycling.com Road racing is much more different than MTB racing. Not as much beer drinking or grilling burgers. The parking lot of a mountain bike race is usually filled with trucks, a Subaru or two, tents, families, and people enjoying themselves. The parking lot of a road race is usually filled with Honda's, Audi's, Volkswagen's, a few team vehicles, and a group of angry looking cyclists. After a mountain bike race you have people reluctant to leave, wishing the day would go on. After a road race you have an empty parking lot with swirls of debris caused by the rapid exit of egos. I think that will not be the case with Team Doulos because half of our team are mountain bikers. Its going to be fun! 
 Iv'e changed my training a little this winter, more road riding. In the past I ran a lot, and rode the mountain bike more. I think I only have 3.4 miles on the Jet 9 since October (fried green fifty). The experts say cross training is good when the weather turns ugly, but in Georgia the weather allows for year long riding. I pretty much cross train all year anyway, running, mountain bike. And now that I have me a "cross" bike we can add that. 
So lets get serious. To shave or not to shave. No one likes to look at an unshaven leg with all that funk coming out from under that Lycra. According to DZ, shaving is all the rage among cyclist and metrosexuals.
 If not for yourself, shave for freedom, shave for sport, shave for your fellow cyclist, and most of all, shave proudly!....Later

No comments:

Post a Comment