01 October 2011

12 Hours of Dauset...FINALLY

My pit
 Finally, all my training and suffering paid off....Where do I start. John got to Dauset early so he could get in a 17.5 mile run and set up my canopy. Which brings up another thought, John is the best crew you can have. I could not have done so well without his help, and I was told that all the top finishers had excellent crews. I had the best!! 
 Woke up early (couldn't sleep), ate a quality breakfast, then met Larry at the Waffle House, and ate a chicken bisquit. I know what your thinking, how much coffee? Maybe 40 oz. I estimate I had a 1500 calorie breakfast. 
 Got to the trail earlier than I had planned, but this was perfect. I had enough time to get my pit set up for John while he was running, sign in, help with the kids race(12 minutes of Dauset), and just relax and get prepared. Talked to a few friends I only see at races, then line up for the le'mans start. 
 The start, ran to my bike, I was one of the last people to get to the bikes, and I hear John....ITS A GOOD THING THE RACE IS NOT WON OR LOST AT THE START. I was making sure I was not going to go out to hard. like last year. I hit the trail about mid pack, that includes all racers, 6 hour and 12 hour teams. First lap was a great pace. The course that Dave set up was a good loop, I had never done that combination before. Second lap I was passing a lot of people. Wait a minute, I need to slow down, is what I thought. When I came around for lap 3 John yell'd what happened? that lap was 4 minutes slower! I answered, I think I'm going to hard. NO! pick it up John says.....thanks for that by the way. I was in 6th place at this point (12 solo). And then started to reel them back. I caught 5th place on upper sandy creek, then 4th and 3rd on huff-n-puff. This boosted my confidence, Now i'm in 3rd coming in for my fourth lap, I didn't know I was in third until John told me only two guys were in front. I feel really strong, and very happy with my pace at this point. I ask John, where are they. Second is 9 minutes ahead and first is 20 minutes ahead..."Holy cow". I made myself think, ride your race Greg, race the clock not the racers. I caught second place on my 6th lap, the last hill on brown lee. He was hanging his head when I came up, and I picked up my pace as I went around, hoping he wouldn't grab my wheel. I don't think he noticed me at all. One more to go. By the end of my sixth lap my back was hurting bad. John fed me ibuprofen the remainder of the race, this kept the pain bearable. I think by the 8th lap I told John, where is that guy? Dude, he is 25 minutes ahead of you. Don't worry about him, just keep 3rd off of you. Now I think, good advise!
 Well, at this point that's the race. The field is set, just maintain. When I finished lap 12 John said "you did it, 13 laps is yours" I had 9 minutes till cut-off. That was my goal. On my 13th and last lap, the first place guy passed me to put me a lap down. Hats off to Michael Christopher, he passed me like It was his first lap. 
 Second place, 130 miles, 12 hours 18 minutes, I'll take it!! Perfect race for me, perfect weather, trail conditions, equipment, and the crew. Thanks to everyone who came out and cheered me on. It means a lot to me....Later


No comments:

Post a Comment